Sunday, June 29, 2008

Decisions

Tonight I sit, staring at the editor's suggestions on my manuscript, again trying to decide which comment to accept or reject. It's called a line-by-line edit. The problem is that many of the comments are subject to opinion. Do I include the word "carefully" as the editor suggests, or do I stick to what I've learned about keeping the "ly" out of the story whenever possible?

There is no absolute right or wrong in this case. I simply want to end up with the strongest, most captivating and clear version of "The Pilgrim's Basket" possible. I want readers to enjoy, sympathize and become energized to take on a service project of their own. To do this, I will have to accept that some questions will only have my word as the final answer.

Since when do I get the last word? I'm battling waves of pride that crash into vast shores of insecurity. My decision when I press send will have to be good enough. I feel so blessed to have been given this wonderful story to tell. I hope I honor those involved in the process in the final telling of it.

I feel sure that even when I decide to press forward, some questions will remain.

Questions that may remain unresolved:

How many "was" (passive) verbs are allowed in a strong story?
How much telling is permitted?
How much does a bag of recycled cans truly earn in Louisiana?
What is the difference between turning and shaking your head?
What makes dirt a dirty word and soil a proper one?
How many times would the story change if I had no deadlines?
Would I ever press send if given the option to continue changing it?

Where do I find discernment?- At least for this one I have an answer- I pray.