Thursday, February 7, 2008

It's a Small World in Which He Gardens







Pages taken from Shannon Puljak's scrapbook:



From the germ of an idea, to the sprout of a story, the growth is incredible. Here is the latest connection. Yesterday we brought a lemon-meringue pie to a dear friend, Mrs. Louise (who will celebrate her 90th birthday next month). Over coffee and pie I shared my excitement about seeing "The Pilgrim's Basket" come to life.



We discussed the book's inspiration as we flipped through the three scrapbooks of wonderful photos Shannon Puljak sent me. Looking at the pictures of the courtyard garden in this Ruston school, Mrs. Louise said, "That's the school where Dawn taught!" My jaw dropped. I knew that there was a Ruston connection somewhere, but for her daughter to have taught at the very same school in my story would be unreal. Mrs. Louise grabbed her phone. "Call her and see!"


Within a few moments I was busily chatting with Dawn Pinkston, Mrs. Louise's daughter. She recollected the garden learning project. Dawn said, "Oh sure, I know Shannon well." Dawn was the librarian of this school for many years. She told about the wonderful way in which students used their garden to give back to the needy in thier community. I told her that I looked forward to seeing her in the fall, book in hand, as this story comes full circle.


When I hung up the phone, I told Mrs. Louise that only God could connect all of these disparate pieces. Shannon Puljak heard of an opportunity to involve classroom learning with community service. I had heard a story and felt inspired to write it down. What God can grow from the seed of a willing heart is incredible.