Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Idea Takes Root


"I feel like I already know you," I said as Shannon Puljak answered the phone.

As the journey from manuscript of "The Pilgrim's Basket" to final book began, a key component was knowing the story's roots. Because the actual garden project the story idea grew from was planted five years ago, unearthing the teacher seemed improbable.

With God nothing is impossible however, and last night's conversation was a clear example of this. I spoke with Shannon, the third grade teacher whose classroom Learn and Serve project inspired "The Pilgrim's Basket" and got the dirt on the real story. I learned about Shannon's willingness to attend a grant-writing workshop and follow through with ways the grant could be used to serve her school and enrich their community.


Finally, I heard about the collard greens that in the book become carrots and about the little girl whose hunger and gratitude so impacted me. I heard about an elderly neighbor who, with Shannon, came to the school courtyard on Saturdays to till the soil in preparation for the planting. I heard about the scarecrow the kindergarten classes made and the way the entire school anticipated the garden's harvest. I learned about the continual production and reharvesting as the growing season continued.

From the seed of an idea "The Pilgrim's Basket" took root. Shannon's inspirational teaching provided more growth than one harvest showed. It continues to produce. I look forward to seeing the fiction story it inspired plant new ideas in readers as they reach out to serve and grow.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I can't wait to read this book and share it with my children! I think it will really make a difference in their lives as well as mine. Keep up the good work!

ifangelise said...

Thanks for keeping me in the loop! When's the release date? I can't wait!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your blog with me, and visiting mine, soulmosaic.wordpress.com

I love the idea of following your book's process and progress toward publication. I think most people love "sharing the ride" with another. Many thanks. I am in awe of all you have done...with this blog, your web page, writing, life blog....just an amazing body of work. Truly. I wish you well. I will follow your path in this and have added your blog's link to my Blogroll. Good luck to you!

Deb Bailey